Cerebral palsy is the condition that is marked by damaged coordination of muscles or any kind of disability. The damage to the brain that is caused usually at birth or before birth is called as cerebral palsy.
Q.1. What is Cerebral palsy?
Ans. A group of bilateral, permanent, non-progressive, symmetrical disorders that lead to motor dysfunction and are associated with developmental brain injuries caused by trauma at birth time or before birth time is termed as Cerebral palsy.
Q.2. What Causes Cerebral palsy?
Ans. Due to the damage or injury to the immature is caused the cerebral palsy. There are the following causes that might be responsible for cerebral palsy, however it is difficult to determine the exact cause:
· Post birth causes: Encephalitis, injury to brain, jaundice and meningitis are included in this.
· Perinatal causes: Hypoxia or birth injury occurred at the time of birth or after birth.
· Antenatal causes: Herpes, toxoplasmosis, rubella, cytomegalovirus like infections in mother.Exposure to radiation before birth,Severe jaundice, physical brain injury, toxins, lead poisoning etc after birth.
· Lower birth weight in premature children
Q.3. What are the Signs and symptoms of Cerebral palsy?
Ans. Following are the signs and symptoms of cerebral palsy:
· Too tight muscles resulting in muscle spasms.
· Scissoring of legs
· Fixed joints
· Hypertonic movements
· Fluctuating muscle tone
· Over flexed limbs
· Writhing movements
· Poor coordination in the task of balancing
· Inward rotated toes
· More weight on one foot as compared to other i.e. uneven weight placed on the toes.
· It is difficult to make quick movements
· Swaying at the time of standing
· Both hands are required for support
· While walking, the person becomes unsteady
Role of Homoeopathy
Homoeopathy has been found helpful in cases of cerebral palsy. Despite having common features, all cases have distinct symptoms different from other cases. The child is not just a case, but has his own emotional and physical make up as well as needs. Homoeopathy studies each case individually and best suited medicines are given to the patient.
By stimulating neuroplasticity, homoeopathy effects favourable changes in the damaged brain of cerebral palsy. Homeopathic treatment helps in controlling epilepsy, assists in development of speech and hearing, augments the intellectual and physical growth and helps in functional improvement of the child over a period of time.
It has been seen that homeopathic treatment improves the quality and speed of recovery when given along with the other supportive therapies. Hence, homeopathy should be offered to patients of cerebral palsy for better prognosis.